A dog is considered man’s best friend. But what if a friend turns a foe. A dog’s bite turns to be fatal at times. Surveys prove that children aged between 5 to 11 are at a greater risk of contracting injury due to dog bites. A person bitten by a dog requires immediate medical attention. A dog becomes ferocious for various reasons.
- Stay away from unfamiliar and stray dogs: We should be cautious of our surroundings because all dogs are not friendly whether stray or domesticated. Kids should not be left unattended around dogs. It is better to administer safety before approaching dogs.The Happy Pooch is a remarkable platform that offers a lot of insight into behavioural tendencies of the dogs.
- Don’t intrude in the comfort zone of the dogs: Dogs also get possessive about their property, i.e. food, toys, territory or humans. Train your dog when it is young. Make it aware of its surroundings and teach proper food habits too. The way they approach food requires Monitoring. Don’t give or offer food to unfamiliar dogs.
- Fear of dogs: Fear of dogs is the biggest reason for a dog attack. Try to hide your emotion, don’t emote your fear, scream or run as this will trigger attack instincts of the dog. Train your dog to get social with your friends and neighbors to avoid an untoward situation.
- Wounded dogs also become ferocious: A dog in pain due to illness or injury becomes irritable. Frustration may lead to attack. So visit your veterinary hospital for consultation.
- Motherhood changes instincts of a dog: After delivering puppies, the mother becomes very protective towards its pups. She does not appreciate any outside contact with the pup. The most friendly breed of dogs also experiences motherly feelings in case intruders approach its pup. Advise your kids to be very careful while playing with the puppies.
- Let the dog sniff: Sniffing is the dog’s way of ensuring its safety. It may just turn away after sniffing you. In case the inevitable happens, just curl down like a ball to prevent your vital organs, namely your head and neck from a dog bite.
As a parent, we strive to create a safe surrounding for our kids. There are signs of warnings which may help us to detect the triggers of a dog bite.
- Look for behavior tendencies of a dog. If a dog pulls its ears back or in case, you can see the whites of its eyes, beware.
- The yawning of a dog is its attempt to show off its teeth which serve as a
- The cold behavior of the dog towards a friendly touch is also a sign of danger.
As citizens of the same neighborhood, it is our duty to be
- A responsible dog owner.
- Prevent dog breeding by getting it neutered.
- Reinforce friendly and social instincts in your pet.
- Keep the vaccinations updated.
- Unusual behavior of the dog requires immediate medical attention.
Know more about the above mentioned points at The Happy Pooch and your job of prevention is done. After all, who doesn’t know that prevention is better than cure.